Wednesday, September 08, 2010

prayers with a toddler

We pray with Hudson every night as part of our bedtime ritual. We read a book, pray as a family, give goodnight hugs and kisses, then sing and rock to sleep. These are precious little moments we share together. Each night when we ask Hudson who he would like to pray for he responds with the name of a family member, an animal, or silence. Tonight he wanted to pray for his friend Emma, his Papaw, a lion, a rhino, a rabbit, and a monkey. It's so fun to pray with him about the things that fill his little heart with joy. I hope that one day his heart will be filled with joy when he thinks about Jesus.

I realize that this little boy probably doesn't really understand what praying for someone (or some animal) means. I do know, however, that this little boy wants to talk about what he loves. And what a great way to teach him about prayer- to teach him to talk to God about the things he loves. I look forward to how our prayers will change as he begins to speak more. I look forward to hearing him tell Jesus that he loves Him. I look forward to the day that Hudson will know this Savior of ours intimately. And as we pray for him each night, I see my prayer life changing too. I find myself praying about even the little things that happen during the day because I know that they matter to my Jesus. I find myself praying that I will love my Savior more so that my son will see His love reflected in me. I also find myself realizing how little I know about raising a child. But we have an excellent example of a parent in our Heavenly Father. I just need to be more like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment